Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Beauty of Barn Wood

I grew up riding horses and have probably always felt most at home at a barn. I love everything about it...the smell ( yes even the manure)...the animals...it is something indescribable...just incredible. I took a pretty long hiatus from riding but it has and will always be in my heart. I started riding again several months ago...yay...I feel at home again. But, even when I was not riding, I still wanted that barn feel in our home...meets modern day, of course.

So,  after researching barn wood in California, I came across Vintage Timberworks in Temecula, CA.


And, so I drove there and I was in love. The most rustic barn wood you can imagine and it was perfect. Barn wood flooring, mantles, shelving. corbels, etc.





The first time I went there is pretty straight forward as I knew I needed a certain amount of barn wood flooring. I ordered it but then I got a little nervous. It is so authentic...meaning it comes from any random barn in Middle America. I wanted more brown and gray woods but they could not guarantee it. I was so scared of the reds. If I looked at reddish flooring every day...I would not have been very happy. Then , I started second guessing myself. After all, this was a huge investment. And this is the one that I was adamant about. It was all or nothing. And I could not be happier. I am in love. The best decision ever.

This is right after the install...


And one of the best things...nothing shows up... Dirt...Animal hair...nothing except a few scratches because the kiddos are crazy on their scooters. It almost always looks clean. The only negative is the kiddos have gotten a few splinters.  Our flooring guy came back, though, and sanded down some of the rough areas and we have been splinter free for quite some time.  Also, one of our subs said that his kiddos did get some splinters from brand new wood flooring.  I had not heard that before but it kind of made me feel better. I thought I was subjecting my kiddos to pain because I wanted a certain look!!

 I highly recommend barn wood flooring and also the best flooring installer in San Diego, Matt Farner or Farner Hardwood Flooring.  He did an incredible job!!


 
 
 

 
And pretty durable except for when your cute puppy decides to eat it...agh!! If you look closely...you can see a big chunk missing.


But, how can I be mad at this face!! And, the beauty of this wood, is that it does not stand out all that much:)



And, I kept going back to Vintage Timberworks...for mantles and shelving and wall coverings.

 A couple other ways we utilized the barn wood. We ( let me rephrase I) am pretty obsessed with it.

For the fireplace in the office (gray wood)


The powder room sink shelf


 Shelving in the family room


 Mantle in the family room


The door that serves as access to the AC unit..it was not pretty..so I thought it would be better to make it stand out...there was no way to hide it and it would have been too costly to move all of the equipment.


Backsplash in the kitchen


 I am a farm girl at heart so I guess it is only natural...I feel right at home:)




 Xo,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment