Monday, July 21, 2014

New Series- What I would do if this was my "fixer upper"

What I would do if this was my fixer upper-The Modern Cape Cod

I am a little (ok  a lot) obsessed with browsing real estate listings, looking at homes, and imagining what I would do to make these homes functional, livable, and stylish. So, I thought it would be fun (at least for me) to take you on tours of these various houses that I find interesting and that have so much potential and do design/mood boards for them. After all, they just need some loving and some style!!  I truly believe almost every house has potential!!

So, I just returned home from visiting family in Virginia.  It is a pretty magical place...especially in the summer.  Summer in Virginia typically consists of lots of boating (boat rides, cocktail rides, tubing, jumping off the boat, taking the boat to lunch or dinner...you get my drift, right)?), swimming in the pool, fishing, bike rides, horseback riding and lots of family time and southern hospitality. I just love it!

So, I broached the subject with my hubbie...would he ever move to VA?  First, he looked at me as if I was crazy and then that was followed by a flat "no."  OK, then...I do not think I will ever win this one. He is after all a San Diego boy who has never experienced a "season" and thinks 65 and cloudy/light sprinkle is torture. So, in the mean time, I was browsing real estate listings in VA and at the very least, a girl can dream, right?

This house was built in the 50's and obviously needs some lovin!! The most important asset...this view and location. It sits on this beautiful inlet, has a dock, amazing views and a sun room (OMG!!).  SOLD!!  SO, obviously we will not be moving to VA anytime soon.  But I am humoring myself and, if truth be told, I think I have an addiction to remodeling.

So, today I am going to show you the exterior, the view, and the family room.

Before photos....

The view does not need anything, of course. How amazing, would this be to look at every morning.

The pool, we could give this a little make-over

 
With a flagstone patio and trex decking
 
 
And, some wicker outdoor furniture like this.
 
 
 
The exterior...now this where it starts getting a little "needy", as in maybe needs some charm, character and style.
 

I think a deep gray is just what the house needs with white windows and flower boxes. Maybe, a couple of steel windows and a door mixed in (my fav!!)
 
 
 

 
 
Copper lighting against the gray would be stunning.


Cape Cod garage doors


White/cream stone stacked all the way up the chimney


I love this dark gray/almost black house with the white windows and of course the snow:) A good source of inspiration!!
 
 
White roses and hydrangeas and ivy for landscaping...
 
 
 
Now, on to the living room
 

This is how I would design the space if I was the client:)
 
Old barn wood plank flooring would go through the entire house minus the bedrooms and baths.



The majority of the house would be painted a creamy white.

Also, this room would get a healthy dose of hand hewn beams across the ceiling.  Maybe 5 across.



Rustic stone and mantle for the fireplace.

 
Built like this shape and as a focal point
 
Woven shades


And, natural linen drapes (below...Kathleen Clements Design)


 
And the built in's that you can see in the below photo will be painted. 



 This is the Mood Board for the living room-  A gorgeous and very comfortable Verellen sofa  paired with the upholstered antique african textile ottoman.  A mixture of old wood pieces with worn-in leather, beautiful textiles, and velvet. The built-ins are painted an indigo, the floor lamp is rattan, the sisal is paired with a moroccan rug, and bronze/brass lighting for the built-ins.





 I will be back soon with the kitchen, dining, bedrooms and bonus room. Do you think this fixer has potential?? I would love to hear your thoughts about what you would do to beautify this baby!!
 
xo,
Paige 









No comments:

Post a Comment