Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The powder room

I think powder rooms should be special. After all, everybody has to use the restroom and it is safe to say that the majority of guests in your  home will see it at some point. 

A little inspiration...


 
 
 
 
So, here is a before....
 
 

I knew I wanted a high sink and a wall mounted faucet (even if that meant opening up the wall).   I am in love with the kitchen sink in the Roman and Williams kitchen above. I also toyed with having a console base or having something super unique.  So many options when starting from scratch.  This was also one of the last rooms to do though (so there was not a whole lot left in the budget).

So, my plumber and I got together and came up with this design to make all the dimensions work. This is his drawing as I pretty much draw like a pre-schooler:(



DC Custom Concrete fabricated the sink.  They did all of the concrete work in our house.  They do a fabulous job and are great to work with.

With a high sink, though, it did not leave a huge amount of room for a mirror.  This 25 incher gives you just enough (I think) to see yourself.  Mirror is by Uttermost.

I was definitely limited for the right size light fixture.  With all of the other stuff going on in there...I thought the simpler the better.

A semi-after with bad lighting.




 
 I was wrong. It was cute but, in the end, did not think it had enough of an impact for a powder room.  So, I switched it out to this one below.  I was going back and forth...should we install wiring for 2 sconces or keep it as is.  The sconces may have been the better option, as there is definitely not enough light in here. Picture moody bar lighting.  But, in the end, we kept the one light because at some point you just have to stop (spending money and opening up the walls)!!

So, here she is now.

 
And, a close-up of the sink.
 
 




 And, I love washing my hands in there.  And, I hope my guests will love using this little modern rustic powder room and can see well enough to put their lipstick on:)

xo,
Paige


1 comment:

  1. That's actually a hard drawing to do, despite how simple it looks. Seeing it become a reality must have felt great for you! Your guests would definitely be impressed, once they see your powder room. Thanks for sharing!

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing & Heating

    ReplyDelete